Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The ugliest part of the house



This is a sight that strikes fear in the hearts of most people: The cutoff at the water meter. It means not-so-fun projects inside and is not so easy to turn with a Crescent wrench. No wonder the water guys who work for the city are so huge.

I think I invented a few new words as I turned this shut and then open again — and I never took French before! I used some penetrating oil, which seemed to help a bit, but this was tougher than I thought it would be. Funny how it's always something that you assumed would be easy that ends up being the hardest part of the job.



What needed to be replaced was a cutoff valve that services the faucet in the master bathroom. It began to leak once I had tightened it and then loosened it while replacing the ugly faucet that had been there since Star Wars.

I was afraid I would have to cut off the old ball sleeve and put on a new one, but I took the advised chance and tried to reuse the old one with a new valve before doing something so unpleasant. After quite a bit of wrenching in modest increments, it seems to have sealed up.



And then Morgan came home and started peeling the awful wallpaper off the walls in the master bathroom.

At 9:10 p.m.


I wonder when her fun will begin to wear off so I can jump in and help finish this one. Maybe we'll have bought a wallpaper steamer by then. Or a magic wand.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, Mr. Smarty Pants, I have yet to start a project without finishing it. I have done a lot of work at this house too and I haven't asked you to finish any of my projects. It's okay though, don't worry. I will put sprinkles on top of your words when you have to eat them 'cause I love you.

    ReplyDelete